Thursday, July 21, 2016

Recon ... not from Orvis!

At left, a copyright free image of a roadsign from Sweden. I think it means to move up in tippet choice. Looks like a 2x fish to me.

I've got some recon to do this weekend. It's warm and my usual haunts have water near 70 degrees and so, recon instead of a trout dash. Relief is coming next week.

I'm taking my new waterproof camera, a box lunch, and a couple maps and heading out to scout homewaters for steelhead.

Water is low and I have a good chance of documenting some holes and breaks that may hold fish come fall. I plan on putting together a map and scouting report for my Amber Angler buddies. We're only 1 hour and 15 minutes away from some neglected water. That's pretty good for Michigan.

No, I don't know what I'm doing. I've never made a map or put together a habitat scouting report. I do have all the tools, however. Should be fun. I've been reading (actually, I've got a pretty good steelhead library going here ...).

I'll be stretching the fishing experience by extending our time on productive water. Hopefully.

Habitat doesn't mean fish. It can;but, there's no rule.

I'll get to check-out some small towns I've not visited before on this recon mission. It's as important to know where to find a decent bowl of chili or a coffee-flavored cup of coffee as it is to find the entrance to a two-track to the river.

I have a compass, a camera, a map, and a small supply of clues. What could go wrong?

Prost.

No comments:

Post a Comment