Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Season Turns

At left, a public domain image as hosted on wikicommons. From a 1920's text by Louis Rhead.

I've a fly fishing friend leaving shortly for Seattle.

We've only been out together for a good dozen times.  We've fished a number of Michigan's great streams starting with a "fish camp" weekend at the Red Cabin on the Pere Marquette in  2010.

I don't expect him back to fish Michigan again. Work commitments, travel, and all the usual suspects including a reticence to leave a wife at home with little alternative entertainment. He travels enough for work that he hates "just leaving" as so many of us will do casually. I myself am doing good to come home at anytime.

His departure coincides with the end of season and there we have it.

I am however excited for 2018. I've got Joseph Bates' book on streamers and am taking it to heart.

I fish Michigan. I need to master some streamer techniques.

Couldn't hurt the fish count, either.

I ate sausage and apples and drank Bell's Octoberfest beer last night. I'm doing fine.

Prost.

3 comments:

  1. Joe Bates book is the streamer tyers bible. One of the best ever compiled on the long fly. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks for the endorsement. I'm always in awe of your ties.

    I'm starting simple. I'm working with classics. In a couple of months I hope to be up to the Hornberg. First the Warden's Worry, the Black Nose Dace, and the Bellamy. Carrie Steven's General MacArthur is not too far in the distance.

    Some work to do though. These flies are deceptively clean and precise which is a trait I will work on all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wardens Worry is an outstanding bucktail. The Hornberg is also a top fly.

      Delete